Thursday 16 January 2014

Sinn Féin candidate for Ireland South Liadh Ní Riada visits the Garden County


On Tuesday last Liadh Ní Riada who is the Sinn Féin candidate in the European Elections for the constituency of Ireland South paid a visit to the Garden County. She met with Sinn Féin local election candidates and local groups in Bray, Wicklow Town and Arklow and pledged to work on behalf of the people of Wicklow should she be elected to the European Parliament.

Speaking after the visit Liadh said “On Tuesday I spent the day in Wicklow meeting party members, local election candidates, members of the public and different groups. Whilst Tuesday was my first official days canvass as a candidate in the European elections, I am certainly no stranger to the County. In the past I have spent many happy days working in the County in the film Industry.”

“My visit to the Garden County was the first of many which I plan on making during the course of the European Election campaign. I meet with party members and activists along with Oliver O’Brien and Cllr John Brady who are the local election candidates in Bray before travelling to Wicklow Town.”

Liadh continued “In Wicklow Town I met with Councillors Garrett O’Reilly and John Snell before visiting the Hillview Estate to witness the terrible conditions residents have to live in. I must admit I was truly appalled at the severe dampness and housing standards the tenants must live in. I pledged to follow this up at a national level to ensure action is taken to rectify the problems in the houses.”

“We finished up in Arklow where I met with local fisher men and members of the RNLI lifeboat crew. I was briefed about the poor conditions in the harbour in Arklow and the challenges facing fishermen with unrealistic quotas. Overall I was heartened by the warm response I received from the people of Wicklow. It’s a huge challenge for me to try canvassing 10 Counties, but listening to the issues from the people of Wicklow and trying to address them is what drives me. Many issues such as Eirgrid and the plan to erect pylons across the countryside are issues that most Counties share and I plan on being a voice for people right across the huge constituency.” Liadh concluded

Wicklow County Councillor John Brady stated “We were delighted to welcome Liadh into the County. The European Elections are going to play a huge role in our campaigning over the next few months. I am delighted we have such a good candidate in place as Liadh Ní Riada and I believe she will make a great MEP for the new constituency of Ireland south.”

Pic Includes: Cllr John Brady, Cllr Garrett O'Reilly, Liadh Ní Riada, Cllr John Snell, Aidan Kinsella-Candidate in the Baltinglass LEA

No comments:

Post a Comment