Friday 10 March 2017

Brady “bitterly disappointed” at lack of funding for Essential Works at North Beach Arklow

Sinn Féin TD for Wicklow/East Carlow John Brady has said he is “bitterly disappointed” that an application for funding for critical works at North Beach, Arklow has been rejected by the Government.

Teachta Brady said:

“Back in November last year, I wrote directly to the Minister for State at the OPW Sean Canney TD urging him to look favourably on an application made by Wicklow County Council under the Coastal Flooding Minor Works Scheme.

“I outlined clearly to him that works were absolutely necessary at North Beach in Arklow due to the significant damage caused to the area already and the further damage that will be caused if works are not carried out.

“I again contacted Minister Sean Canney in February of this year when an updated application for funding was made for the badly needed works.

“I am bitterly disappointed to have been informed that this application for funding has been rejected. It is particularly disappointing given that the former Minister with responsibility for the OPW Simon Harris had promised that funding for these works would be forthcoming and did not materialise.

“I met with Arklow Municipal District Engineer and Administrator this week to inform them of other possible funding streams available to them given the urgency that this work needs to be carried out

“I have sent further correspondence to Minister Canney at the OPW to outline to me the grounds on which this funding has been denied. I have asked him to review this decision and look at the case again.

“I am appealing to the Government to overturn this decision and I will be doing everything in my power to assist Arklow Municipal District in making this happen."

No comments:

Post a Comment